Our Lady of Consolation
Picture by our parishioner, Bill Mc Covick

Return to Stained Glass Index


R025

Starting in the 2nd century, Catholics have given devotion to Mary as Our Lady of Consolation, one of her earliest titles of honor. In the 17th century, in plague-ravaged Luxembourg, the faithful prayed to her and reported miraculous cures and healings. In 1652, Pope Innocent X encouraged devotion to Our Lady of Consolation by establishing a confraternity. The devotion spread to the United States, where the first shrine was built in Carey, Ohio. A replica statue was commissioned and arrived from Luxembourg in 1875. Cures and healings reportedly continue to take place at the shrine to the present day.